Thursday, March 4, 1999

Ask Uncle Tusk: March 4, 1999

Dear Uncle Tusk,

I have two (almost) intelligent questions about Jet Force Gemini so pleaseanswer them. First, you have three characters. How do they work together? On nintendo.com they said that they all took separate paths and met up in the end. Does that mean that to pass the game you have to use all the characters, with certain levels specific to a certain character. Or is there a separate quest for each character. Or do you get to choose which character you want for each level. Second, does JFG utilize the Expansion pak. It makes sense that it would because Nintendo would Rare to support their peripheral so they make more money. Thanks a lot for your time.

Deez Nutz



Uncle Tusk replies:
Yes, they all take separate paths then meet up - Nintendo weren't lying to you just for a laugh. That's generally my job. Each character is designated a series of levels to begin with, but once they've made it through and met up in the middle, they can all nip back to explore each others' routes and scout out new areas. The game's looking pretty swanky without the RAM expansion, so the lads don't know if they'll be needing it yet. As you'd know if you read the Tepid Seat, "Nutz". Get a proper name, you fool.



* * *




Dear Uncle Tusk,

We seem to have been implored, recently, to submit suggestions to Rare HQ. Well, when I say implored, I mean that I vaguely remember seeing a comment in N64 magazine, but that's imploring for ya. Can't get the staff, etc.

Anyway, it's simple:

Sort out your policy towards saved games!

Here's my problem. Well, here's my problem as far as you're concerned, anyway.

Diddy Kong Racing has a really nice saved game system. I can save games to the cartridge, and I can "upload/download" saved games to and from a controller pak. Nice. No, it *is* nice. Banjo Kazooie and Goldeneye have no such features, and it annoys the hell out of me. When I lend someone a cart, they play on my saved games, or overwrite them, or see my times in B-K and roundly take the p*ss afterwards. I'm sure you can see where this is going...

Any chance you can make Perfect Dark and Jet Force Gemini behave the same way as DKR? I ask because these controller paks are fairly cheap and if I end up having a 256Kb pak devoted to just my Perfect Dark games (or whatever) then I'm fine with that. Most of these controllers now come with a meg anyway, so it's easy to switch between banks of pages when neccessary. You see, you did it /so/ nicely with DKR and then "fluffed big time" on the more recent games (I can't work out what Blast Corps is doing yet, but that's because I simply haven't been arsed enough to examine the controller pak pages).


So, there you go then. No silly Tiptup gubbins, no annoying Goldeneye questions, no N64 arse stuff. Just a simple, straightforward request. Oh, and can I plug my Ultimate website - it has a groovy Ultimate/Rare blurb generator that folks might find amusing.

http://www.robsoft.co.uk

Etc.

Well, off to drool some more over the JFG pictures. Looking forward to its release!

Rob Uttley



Uncle Tusk replies:
It's no good trying to be nice now - you're just all moan, moan, moan. Honestly, I don't know why we bother doing anything for you bunch of ungrateful wretches. Still, not only has GoldenEye's designer leapt to his game's defence, he's even come up with a neat solution to your problem:

"With the GoldenEye save system you could play on one folder, copy it to another so that you could lend it to your friends without fear of them ruining your game, and they could start new games on the remaining two folders if they wanted. Moreover, no extra purchase was necessary to save your game. Either you are constantly being embarrassed by your friends who are better players than you, or you lack the authority you need to get them to treat your cart with respect. The solution is clear. Beat your friends with a stick. If they are better players, go for the hands."



* * *




Yo Tusky,

I think that Link (from Zelda, but you know that, you and the rest of you crazy Rare people spend waayyyyy too much time in Nintendo's arse) could kick your ***. I mean, with Biggoron's sword, he would kill you. And with the magic sword swipe, he could kill you in one blow. WHAT YOU GONNA DO NOW!?!?!?!? CRY TO MAYA?!!?!? WUSS MONKEY.
HunkaDoug@aol.com



Uncle Tusk replies:
Kick my ***? What's that supposed to mean? Kick my pet? My wok? My egg? Not that it matters - I'm past the point of getting worked up over this sort of thing. If you're going to threaten me with violence, however vague, at least have the decency to do it yourself or attribute it to someone who exists, you sweaty pleb.



* * *




Ask Uncle Pants

Dear Uncle Tusk,

Seeing how you've been wearing that same loincloth since who knows when (well, you probably do), I decided to give you a little change in clothing with the attached picture.

Oh, and am I cocky?
Moop3@aol.com



Uncle Tusk replies:

That's not a change - that's just a removal of the outer layer. I always get my underwear from the Mr. Pants range. How else could I reasonably expect to participate in the world of cutting-edge pant fashion?



* * *




Hello there,

I recently purchased Donkey Kong Land 3 for my sister. She loves it but cannot figure out how to save her game. Before she gives up, can you give us some advice?
Dragonma1@aol.com



Uncle Tusk replies:
"But... but... it's obvious," said the designer in bewilderment. I told him nothing was obvious in the macabre world of Ask Uncle Tusk. Your game is saved automatically after every few levels when you visit one of the Save Caves that crop up in your path, and there's no more to it than that. Leave my sight.



* * *




Dear Uncle Tusk,

My wife, our friends and I thoroughly enjoyed destroying things in J-Bomb and in the dump truck. The problem is some have finished, while others have hit the wall of their abilities, and we want more!

We know you're all a little busy, but will there ever be a sequel to Blast Corps? We think this was the most underrated game ever.

...and how about a multi-player? Destroying other J-Bombs, or beating them for prizes would be fun too.
Brian White



Uncle Tusk replies:
We're not secretly working on a sequel behind your backs, if that's what you mean. No idea if there'll ever be a
BC2 - it's always possible, I suppose, though it's not as if we haven't already got enough franchises to mess about with...



* * *




Dear Unc Tusk:

So, how's your day been? No, I'm not here to pester you for more teasers of info on upcoming games. In fact, I'm here to praise you for it. I like all your unknown deadlines and secret projects that exist only behind barn doors. Who knows? Maybe tomorrow I'll find out that Perfect Dark is all ready to go and will be in stores in a week. Or maybe even Conker 64 (How's that game going? It's been overshadowed by the likes of Donkey Kong, Joanna, and the Jet Force gang). Or you'll release one of your superb secret titles in only a month, with that perfect finish on it. And by not releasing deadlines, you have time to make it perfect without people hounding your door, yelling, "WHY'S IT NOT DONE YET!!!" So go on! Tease your potential suitors with dribbles of info, leading them to your hotel room only to stand whimpering at a locked door. And when you do finally let them in, you strike a seductive pose and tell them they can only have the mint that was left on your pillow (because you're upstanding folk who wouldn't want to disturb the quiet gaming industry with news of a sordid affair). But that mint will be enough! Well, maybe some of that fruit from the complimentary fruit basket also. And some soap and a towel. And a autographed photo of TipTup. Yes, that'll do. Also, I've got a problem with the ending of Goldeneye, when you beat the Egyptian Temple (slight spoiler coming up for those who haven't made it). The Baron runs after Bond into the dark, and then all you see is Samedi standing there, laughing. I take this as a strong insinuation that Samedi bumps Bond off, which I know is impossible, but the fact is there. Anyways, what you should have done is have the Baron stand there, laughing, then you here a gunshot and the Baron falls forward, with Bond standing behind him, holding the Golden Gun out. Yeah, that would be cool. Keep up the good work! Oh, and make Jet Force Gemini a smacking good game.

Nate



Uncle Tusk replies:
No, we don't get that many people yelling "WHY'S IT NOT DONE YET!!!" - they generally go for the "WHY WON'T YOU TELL US WHEN IT'S COMING OUT!!!" angle. Bless their little souls (sound of industrial axe sharpener operating in background).

And GoldenEye's designer would like to take issue with your Samedi-bashing: "I take it you haven't watched
Live And Let Die, or you would know that the whole idea about Baron Samedi is that he does not stay dead. He is a Voodoo god. He is a master of death, which should make you wonder about his relationship to Bond; maybe he let Bond go alive from the Temple with such a powerful gun because he knows Bond will kill a lot more (bad) people, which would serve the Baron very well."



* * *




Dear Uncle Tusk,

I am curious as to why Rare doesn't have its own magazine. An official magazine builds up hype, and I'm sure it would sell like wildfire here in the US of A. Just look at what NP does for Nintendo! Regardless of the fact that this would contradict Rare's inherent policy of not telling their relentless fans anything, let me assure you Rare would not regret such an endeavor. Reviews, walkthroughs, and--heaven forbid--previews of Rare's games, straight from Rare, would be front page material in the gaming population. If there really is a sensible reason behind Rare's lack of a mag (aside from the usual spite and omniscient dominance factor), please tell your faithful fans who hang on your every word why not. And please don't flame me, because I am not an authority in the gaming publication area, and I freely admit that.

A thousand apologies for disgracing your computer with my presence, and my humblest thanks for reading my query in its entirety.

An inferior American B-K fan (or so I would have you think),
Pikachelsea

P.S. I think you are just playing with that guy's mind in his letter about how he "figured out" Banjo-Kazooie, when you said that some of his ideas were true. Obviously, some of his theories are correct. After all, he listed that there was an egg in Gobi's Valley and Freezeezy Peak, which is indisputably correct. In fact, the rest of it could be loony gibberish, and the designers are just teasing their indignant fans who think they've got it all figured out. How cruel and unusual! Nevertheless, I will complete this letter without the usual empty threats of your Snippet suppliers, and patiently await Banjo-Tooie.



Uncle Tusk replies:
I think you'll find that Nintendo have a slightly wider choice of games to hype than Rare does. There are plenty of reasons why developers don't have their own magazines, and the fact that they'd need to have about 20 games in progress to be able to fill a single decent-sized issue is probably one of them. As is the range of magazines already out there poised to shower hype on new N64 stuff. Not much point trying to do it ourselves. Spite and omniscience? Rare? Nah, that's just me.



* * *




Dear Uncle Tusk,

How in god's name do you get the Invisibility cheat on Goldeneye 007. I have been trying for ages and the nearest I have come to the dreaded 1:20 is 4:13. I have got the cheat for Invincibility so I am not crap at the game. This is my last hope.
Sean (Bond) Williamson



Uncle Tusk replies:
You'll find an excerpt from the team's notes on the Archives cheat in the July 7 edition. You'd better go and have a look quickly because no amount of insisting that you're not crap will change the fact that 4:13 is, in fact, seriously crap.



* * *




Dear Uncle Tusk,

This message is from a N64 beginner!!! We got Banjo-Kazooie for Christmas, and have played it constantly ever since. My only question at the moment is how do we reach the witch switch in Rusty Bucket Bay? It's driving us crazy!!! We need to know where the jigsaw piece is, so we can finish the last puzzle. HELP!!!!!
New Addicts



Uncle Tusk replies:
You must be completely... hang on. The designer's response may be slightly more helpful.

"Simply climb up the rope on the rear crane and stand on top. Now perform the longest double jump you can possible manage and it should be just enough to get you across to said switch."

So there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to make it. Unless you're crap. Are you crap? You can't be as crap as Sean Williamson.



* * *




Dear Uncle Tusk,

I think you guys aren't as smart as you think you are. All the codes ryhme, for example: cheatanenergyBARtogetyouFAR. The shark says Cheese and CRACKERS which ryhmes with SNACKER. I think you put a code in Treasure Trove Cove to raise Sharkfood Island, like CHEAT SNACKER WILL RAISE FOR A CRACKER or something. Would you tell me if I'm on the right track? That was a stupid question, you greedy pirates!
Chris



Uncle Tusk replies:
Yes, it was a stupid question, and the fact that you realise this suggests that you know very well what the answer's going to be. By all means waste the rest of your natural life entering all sorts of stupid variations if it makes you feel better, though. Or you could spend a few years learning how to spell.



* * *




Dear Uncle Tusk,

I absolutely love the game Goldeneye. I'm undefeated in my last 100 games or so, but that's beside the point. (Oh, and I'm not trying to gloat here) I was playing the Depot level and I had invincibility and invisibility on, just to get a look at the level. Well, I looked at the graffiti and I saw names of some of the designers. Also, in the warehouses, on the crates, it says 4-A1, 4-C3, or 4-K2, all floors of the silo. And I also noticed some other stuff. On the crates, it says "Ckopo" whatever that means. (What does it mean anyway? Is it some British word?) Also, on the walls of the warehouse, it says either "CL>14.MAX" or "CWT. 12.6-df". Is this remnants from the programming? Are there any more easter eggs? Will I ever find out the truth?
LtCmdKlorr
P.S. Don't insult my name
P.P.S. Goldeneye is the best damn game ever
P.P.P.S. There will be no more post-scripts



Uncle Tusk replies:
"'Ckopo' is a word that uses Cyrillic script. No more clues. No, they are not programming remnants." That's straight from the designer. He doesn't know if there are any more surprises for you because he very fortunately does not know what goes on in your brain. He also suggests that "If you do ever find everything in GoldenEye, I suggest being hypnotised to forget ever playing it, so you can do it all again."

P.S. Your name's crap.



* * *




Dear Uncle Tusk,

No! N--NO! NOO!!! I am a-frownin' today and am quite sad I'll say. Why, exactly? Well, On my wondrous web page, I am known as 'Alex McChimpy' and my credentials are 'I completely beat Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, AND 3!' Well, little did I know that I was posting...a lie!! It turns out I never knew about the secret ending when ya' get 105% of which you spoke. Well, lucky me, I spent a few days beating DK3 ALL OVER AGAIN with TUFST. And what did I find.....? Well...??? Nothin' I typed TUFST in every time I played and still ended up with 103%!!!! Now I know a non-Rare guy like me made some mistake. What I wanna know is...what happens when you DO get 105%??? I completely beat the game twice, I kinda think I deserve to at least KNOW what I'm missing!
Mechel18



Uncle Tusk replies:
The designer says "I'm not telling you, because it's too good." He also points out that if you want to get the extra 2% upon completion, you've got to start a brand new game with TUFST in a previously empty/erased save slot - you'll know if the code's working because there'll be no halfway or DK barrels. And you only need to enter the code when you first start the game, not every time you play. So go on, go back and do it all again, you dunce. Har har har.



* * *




Dear Uncle Tusk,

In Killer Instinct II, Jago had a move (known as the "ghost" or "spirit" move) which would take off part of your life which you would then get back as a "ghost" after your 2nd life bar was depleted.

Did any of the other characters have moves like this (I swear I might have done it once with Spinal) and did any of these moves make it into the KI Gold translation (I can't even get Jago's to work).

Ey Wuz Hear



Uncle Tusk replies:
You may well have 'done it' once with Spinal, you depraved swine, but you certainly wouldn't have squeezed any kind of Spirit move out of him. It's a Jago-only thing - only a big wuss like him would bother with that sort of rubbish, and he wasn't even given the chance in KI Gold. Serves him right, I say.



* * *




Ey Up Uncle Tusky!!

It's not so much a cry for help but a query.

My mate keeps saying that he's played on Goldeneye 2 and I don't know whether there even is a Goldeneye 2 or he's played on it pllleeasee solve my question so at least I know and he can laugh at me or I can laugh at him!
Paul



Uncle Tusk replies:
Now, you've obviously explored at least some of this site in order to stumble across this page. Think back. Do you recall seeing a single mention of
GoldenEye 2 at any point along the way? In fact, do you recall seeing a single mention of GoldenEye 2 on any site at all, ever? Are you getting the message? Or do I have to use a sockful of pebbles to beat it into you?



* * *




Dear Uncle Tusk,

First of all, I simply have to commend you (through a mouthful of cookies n' cream) on the sheer quality of this site. I can't recall a game designer/publisher's site that was just this great. You really give the gamers what they want. Great job! OK I really do have a question, two or three if I can think of that many while I'm writing:

1. Did you ever plan to give Pocket Tales a GB Color palette, or were you just too far into development at the time of the hardware's release?

2. I remember when news of Rare's defection from Nintendo to solo-publishing was all the rave; It was sometimes assumed that Rare did this to be able to design games for Sony's PSX. Are there or were there ever plans to make a game for the CD-based system, and if not, any input on why the N64 is favored to develop on? (Sometimes I just think the PSX has been around waaaay too long.)

3. Can I clean your toilets for money, or at least a chance to see the Rare pad from the inside?

4. Where can I find nude pictures of Dixie Kong? ;>

5. When my lot of game-playing Japanese culture-obsessed friends get together, we like to have fun playing what we call "RPG Mode" in Goldeneye multiplayer. Basically we play the role of the character we select in the environment we select, sorta like a Goldeneye Dungeons & Dragons session. For example, if one player is a guard, well, he does guard stuff and questions/shoots at suspicious characters, while taking orders from his superiors. We have a blast with this, but it can be limited because of the small multiplayer environments with little variation in them (Not enough "props" ;>) and the number of players (Or at least characters to interact with). Do you know if future Rare multiplayer games will make crazy stuff like this more fun? On the subject of player number, I'm not saying you have to develop an 8-player adapter, but NPCs that you can interact with in multiplayer mode would be awesome.

6. Can I have a dollar?

7. I haven't been able to locate the often talked-about chemistry set on an air duct in Goldeneye. Mind telling me where to look?

8. Last question, I promise. I've almost completed my cheat list, but there must be something I'm missing in Statue Park, because that's the last cheat I have to get. Y'see, I complete my objectives in the fastest way I know how, and I still seem to need 10 seconds shaved off my time. Any advice?

Well turns out I came up with more than 3 in the end. Hope you can get around to *maybe* replying, but I understand your busy chaos-ridden schedule. Guess I'll get back to spooning my ice cream outta the box. Bye!
Kowkiller



Uncle Tusk replies:
1. I'll pretend you asked this question after we posted the colour screenshots, just to make you look stupid. 2. It's hardly a "defection", is it? We're still Nintendo-exclusive, and no, there were never any plans to develop for other formats. 3. The DKC3 designer wants me to make a crude joke about pads and toilets, but I'm above that sort of thing. 4. Make them yourself if you're that desperate (but don't forget to publicly flog yourself afterwards). 5. You need help. 6. Only if you spend it on help. 7. On an air duct. In the Facility. 8. Try belting straight through the level without stopping to kill anyone. It's against my nature to say that, but apparently it works.



* * *




Dear Uncle Tusk,

Do you people employ a widely used method of at-home game testers? That would be a very intelligent thing to do. I live in the States and love Rare games above many others and was talking to some friends that got beta versions of PC games. I realize that is different than cartridge games... but if you do employ at-home testers then how could I become one? (I really wouldn't expect a lot of money, the testing would be cool, and the little money I make could be used to gloat at my cool job.) Anyhoo, Thanks for answering my question, El Tusko.
Tom Ciovacco



Uncle Tusk replies:
Rare has a dedicated in-house testing department of long-time gamers, and so does Nintendo. You have no idea what a horrendous mistake it would be to start asking people at random if they wanted to become home testers - even the polar opposite of your "very intelligent" diagnosis couldn't begin to sum it up. In fact I'm tempted to come round and kick your face off for even entertaining the idea. Where is it "a widely used method", exactly?



* * *




Heyo Unkle Tusk MY MAN!!!

Just checking in to say hello and break you off a little advise!!

1) Once I beat Perfect Dark, I want to be able to beat the game as a different person, say, a MAN. You see, it's quite emasculating to have have to dress up in drag just to kick some butt.

2) Also, Joanna's such a pretty girl, why not give her a different pretty outfit for each level!!! (Not just that jumpsuit. It is SO 1987.)

3) When you come out with Tip-Tup 64, you should make it so Tip-Tup can retract into his shell by pressing the R button, as a kind of shield. He should say something witty like "see ya" or "maybe next time" or even, "Yoink." that's the kind of thing I like to see.

4) Also, PLEASE make a sequel to Blaster Master! I know you guys didn't make the first two, but Boy, what you could do with that title. How about some sort of piggy back set up so you could play Blaster Master in your favorite levels of other RARE games?


Love,
TIP-TUP the BLASTER-MASTERIN' Turtle



Uncle Tusk replies:
Why did I even bother printing this? Complete waste of time. Ah well, I suppose I'm here now, so I may as well set you straight. Your 'design' 'ideas' serve as a shining example of the kind of tosh I dread getting under the guise of constructive feedback (retract into his shell and say "Yoink"? What's the matter with you?) and your comments about PD and Joanna in particular only make me wonder why people refer to
me as a barbarian. Would you care to leave?



* * *




Greetings sir,

A question about Click Clock. I am having some difficulty getting onto the small leaves on the tree, thereby achieving summer-button-punchability status. Am I missing something? I can't believe you people would make something in the game so meaninglessly difficult, so there must be a way to shoot an egg at the leaf (bud?) to make it expand right? Or something?
zoopy@zoopyfunk.com
P.S. I already freed Tooty and am now stuck on this leaf every time I turn on the deck. Am I just to wait until Conker comes out?
P.P.S. Can I be on The Conker Mailing List?



Uncle Tusk replies:
Duh. According to the designer: "The small leaves are deliberately small to stop players trying to jump on them. But obviously not small enough. Why not try and climb the spring tree in the conventional way, by using the lake path to get on the tree's circular base path, then up the carved-out slope in the trunk to the big branch, past the birds up to the hornet hive, etc, etc. Alternatively, you can consult the designer's original plans to help you get to the switch with ridiculous ease."

And he's provided a delightful little diagram for you, look. Worthy of an
Uncle Tusk Special, I reckon...



* * *




Hi there,

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......... Goldeneye is driving me crazy!! That damn game on 00 Agent mode is too hard. Is there anyway I can get to 007 mode other than playing them all? That wont take the fun out of it, it will put the fun into it! Because it's so embarrassing when people ask me if I have 007 mode. And it sounds so cool. Why did you make it so hard? That takes the fun out of it and brings the frustration into it!! And the drug abuse!!!! And the violence!!!

Thank you!
Ckohne11



Uncle Tusk replies:
A parting shot from the designer: "I'm sorry to say that 007 difficulty level is only for people who are good enough at the game. Are you related to Sean Williamson, by any chance?"

No comments: